Brett Keller Duncan
- Executive Partner
Brett is a lifelong resident of Hammond, Louisiana, and currently represents his community as an elected member of the Tangipahoa Parish School Board.
After graduating from Hammond High, he joined the Louisiana Army National Guard, where he served for 10 years helping lead operations of the 205th Engineer Battalion. His service included a tour of duty to Afghanistan in support of "Operation Enduring Freedom." While serving his country in combat is one of his proudest achievements, he is quick to tell anyone who will listen that this tour of duty was also the time that he was most proud of his hometown. Brett had asked his hometown to "Adopt" three Afghan villages near the base where he was stationed, and the city came through in a huge way. He was never more proud to be an American and Louisianan. For his service in combat, Brett received: Army Commendation Medal, Louisiana War Cross, Army Achievement Medal (3rd), National Defense Service Medal (2nd), and Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medal.
Brett graduated cum laude from Southeastern Louisiana University with a Bachelors of Arts in history and government. While at Southeastern, he was a member of Theta Xi Fraternity, as well as Gamma Sigma Alpha and Order of Omega honor societies. He also served as Interfraternity Council President and Chief Justice of the Student Body. Upon his year of graduation, Brett was the recipient of the Lieu Award, the highest honor for academic excellence in his major.
After graduation, Brett began pursuing a Masters in Business Administration and joined the management team of ARAMARK Corporation, the company in charge of food service operations at Southeastern Louisiana University.
On April 7, 2001, Brett married his college sweetheart, the former Regina M. Lamb. The couple has two beautiful children, Kendall Haleigh Duncan and Robert Cameron Keller Duncan.
He obtained his Juris Doctor and a Bachelor of Civil Law from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University. Thereafter, he began an active law practice in his hometown of Hammond, Louisiana.
Brett describes the focus of his practice as "helping people find practical solutions to their legal problems." A common complaint of his is, "I've always been frustrated with attorneys who take a simple legal problem and make it complicated simply for the purpose of making money off another's difficult situation." While his practice areas are extensive, his passion is representing and assisting "families in crisis."
In addition to his busy private practice, Brett has represented over 1,000 abused and neglected children and troubled youths through his role with the Juvenile Public Defenders Office. Brett is a member of "Church of the King" in Mandeville, Louisiana. He enjoys volunteer work and has worked with organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, Rotary Club and CASA. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Louisiana State Bar Association and the Twenty-First Judicial District Bar Association.
Click here for a free online consultation with Brett K. Duncan & Co.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Child Support
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Louisiana, 2005
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. - 2005
- Major: Juris Doctor and Bachelor of Cibil Law Degrees
- Southeastern Louisiana University
- B.A. - 1999
- Honors: Gamma Sigma Alpha
- Honors: Order of Omega Honor Societies
- Major: History
- Major: Government
- Court Appointed Child Advocate Trainer, CAC Services
- Notary Preparation Course, Southeastern Louisiana University
- Child Abuse and Neglect Training Panelist, Louisiana Supreme Court Improvement Program
Honors and Awards
- Army Commendation Medal
- Louisiana War Cross
- Army Achievement Medal (3rd)
- National Defense Service Medal (2nd)
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medal
- Recipient of the Lieu Award, the Highest Honor for Academic Excellence in his Major
- Success Story of the Year (Child Advocate Services)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member
- Twenty-First Judicial District Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Chief Justice of the Student Body, Interfraternity Council President
- 205th Engineer Battalion, Louisiana Army National Guard
- ARAMARK Corporation
- Town of Independence, Town Attorney
Pro Bono Activities
- Boy Scouts of America
- American Cancer Society
- Past Chairman of Restoration House
- Mentor, CASA
- Leader, Church of the King
- Theta Xi